A Spatial Information System is a system for collecting, storing, analyzing, processing and sharing of spatial information data.
The Spatial Information System for West Pomeranian Voivodeship
The Spatial Information System for West Pomeranian Voivodeship was created as part of the "e-Tourism with Spatial Information System" sub-project, implemented within the "e-Government and e-Tourism in West Pomeranian Voivodeship" project.
The project's aim was to create a uniform system of spatial information for the West Pomeranian Voivodeship, powered by a database created as a result of resource migration provided by the Regional Centre for Geodesic and Cartographic Documentation.
The implemented system is used for spatial information dissemination within The Office of The Marshall of the West Pomeranian Voivodeship and beyond, for theoretically unlimited numbers of users. Its aim is to centralize geographic data management, images, processing models, web services and applications with GIS functionality.
The premise accompanying the formation of the system was to support the development of an information society within our voivodeship, in particular:
- providing electronic services and digital content supporting innovation and enhancing the competitiveness of the West Pomeranian Voivodeship's economy and improving the efficiency, comfort and standard of living,
- collecting, updating and providing citizens and organizations with databases of information about the region and phenomena occurring in the region, as well as analyzing and monitoring these phenomena through the use of online services,
- promotion and development of the voivodeship, its districts and municipalities, and to provide mechanisms for a mutual flow of information among these levels of government administration,
- voivodeship, district and municipality management improvement, as well as facilitating planning and investing processes through the use of a modern spatial data sharing platform, environment monitoring and zoning-related projects.
The implemented system aggregates and provides users with a variety of data in a spatial context. The system was powered by information made available by the Regional Centre for Geodesic and Cartographic Documentation, including:
- Vector data
- Topographic Objects Database (BDOT10k)
- Sozological map
- Hydrographic map
- VMap Level2
- Agricultural Soil Map
- General Geographic Database
- Raster data
- Topographic maps in 1:10000, 1:25000, 1:50000 scale
- Orthophotomaps from satellite and aerial imagery
- Numerical Elevation Data
- Digital Terrain Model
- Digital Elevation Model
- Geodetic control network
Resources were made available for viewing via the implemented map portal and via interoperable web services specified on the Services subpage.
Users of the system
The system is used for spatial information dissemination within The Office of The Marshall of the West Pomeranian Voivodeship and beyond. Therefore, users of the system can be divided into two groups:
- Active users.
The Office of The Marshall and its subordinate institution's employees, registered external institutions. They provide digital spatial data and other information to be processed through dedicated internal GIS stations or they perform administrative tasks in relation to the system. Active users have access to editing tools and advanced spatial analysis,
- Passive users.
Internet users. They browse and retrieve data from the system by means of an implemented map portal and interoperable web services. They have the ability to report identified errors in the reference data and share data with the central supply system.