The castle tower is located in the western part of Golczewo on the isthmus between Szczucze Lake and Okonie Lake in the north-western part of Zachodniopomorskie [West Pomerania] Province at the provincial road No. 108. It is 22 kilometres southeast of Kamień Pomorski and 20 km north of Nowogard. Golczewo can be reached by a PKS [a Polish Vehicle Communication] coach from Drawsko Pomorskie, Szczecin, Kamień Pomorski, Nowogard. The nearest railway station is in Wysoka Kamieńska, 10 km from Golczewo, where trains arrive from all major stations in the country. It is easy to get it the castle in Golczewo itself because the tower can be seen from afar. A walk from the market square in Golczewo to the tower will take You 10 minutes.
The castle tower in Golczewo is a remnant of the Bishops of Kamień's castle. The castle was built in the years 1302-1317. It was sold to Bishops of Kamień with the consent of the prince of Szczecin in 1304. The Castle was temporarily used by the Chapter, then it passed under the rule of the family of Flemming, who sold it to the Duke Bogusław VIII in 1406. The castle came under the rule of the Chapter again in 1436, which lasted until 1534 when the prince became the owner of Golczewo. After 1684, when the Griffin dynasty ruling in Pomerania died out, and the entire principality was conquered by the Brandenburg, the castle was abandoned and fell into disrepair since then. In 1895 and 1929, the castle tower was renovated and its coping was reconstructed, thereby making this part of the castle survive to this day. The original 24-metre tower reached a height of 33 metres after reconstruction, and is now the highest one in Pomerania. Historically, the castle consisted also of a residential building in the south at the tower, but they were not connected to each other, and a gate building to the north. The entire structure was surrounded by an enclosure connected to the tower, the stone fragment of which can still be seen on the northern part of the hill. The entrance to the tower was located 6 metres above the courtyard and led from the porch at the enclosure. The tower had 6 floors, including a dungeon prison, to which a drain hole for prisoners and food led. A ladder was used to get to the upper floors. The tower was quadrangular at the basement, and built with stone boulders, but circular and built of brick at the higher part.
Currently, the Castle Hill area, which is owned by the commune of Golczewo, has been developed, renovated and become a place attractive to tourists, and the castle tower was made open to the public. The property is inscribed on the list of monuments.