The lighthouse is located in the seaside district of Darłowo - Darłówek Wschodni [Eastern], at the mouth of the Wieprza River flowing into the Baltic.
The lighthouse in Darłowo was established in 1885 at the mouth of the Wieprza River flowing into the Baltic Sea, to the east. It was a small single-storied building (the so-called pilot station) and a three-storey tower erected next to it. It was built of red brick and stone on a square plan. On the top floor, there was a room of the pilot who operated the lighthouse. Then the light source was at the height of 12.2 m. The lighthouse cast red light at the distance of approx. 6 sea miles. A few years later, light was changed to white and interrupted one. The building was given the current appearance in 1927 when one storey was added. The lighthouse has four storeys and a height of 22 m. The light is placed at a height of 19.7 m. Its range is 15 sea miles. The lighthouse is topped with white gallery containing a modern light mechanism.
The lighthouse - standing at the mouth of the river and in close proximity to the Baltic - is sometimes flooded during storms. It happens that the northern wall is iced up when it is freezing. The water in the Baltic Sea is salty, which also has a detrimental effect on the building. To protect the building against the detrimental effects of the environment, it was decided put an extra layer of bricks on the northern wall. In 2015, the lighthouse underwent extensive maintenance works: desalination was conducted, and historic brick walls were repaired. Its door was reopened to visitors in June. From its top, tourists can admire a beautiful view of the Baltic Sea, the Wieprza River, an extendable bridge and the beach. It is managed by the Urząd Morski [Maritime Office] in Słupsk. Its location in the tourist centre of Darłowo makes the lighthouse an undeniable attraction of this town and a must on the itinerary of those resting in the resort.