The romantic ruins of the Wedel family’s castle are located on an elevation. The ruins are located about 250 m from Wolności Square in the centre of Drawno. From Wolności Square, one needs to turn left into Kościelna Street and pass a junction with Konopnickiej Street to the left. The ruins of the castle are located on a hill, among trees, on the left side of Kościelna Street.
The ruins of the castle in Drawno are the remnants of the castle built by Wedel brothers in 1296.
The castle was built on a square-shaped plan. It had three storeys – an about 3.2 m high ground floor, an about 4 m high first floor, and an about 3 m high third floor. On the eastern side of the first floor, there were portholes. The top of the castle was decorated with blind windows in the shape of shields.
The castle was protected by a lake from one side and by a steep slope and a dry moat. From the road, there used to be two rising settlements, both surrounded by walls. From the west, there were two outbuildings. From the north, the castle adjoined the defensive wall of the town.
The history was not kind to the Wedel family’s castle. It did not spare it numerous invasions.
After 1326, when the castle was attacked by Władysław Łokietek, the Wedel family decided to fortify the town. It became surrounded by 6-7 metre tall walls with towers and three gates: Kamienna [the Stone Gate], Nowa [the New Gate], and Polska [the Polish Gate].
In 1437, the castle was taken over by the Teutonic knights who ruled it till 1478. Then Albrecht Achilles recaptured the castle and restored the elector’s authority. In 1556, cousins Rüdiger and Jorgen Junior divided the castle. The time of the Rüdiger’s rule was the time of great development of Drawno. Unfortunately, when he died in 1592, the heyday of the town ended. It was also the moment when the decline of the Wedel family’s fortune started. In 1600, the castle was rebuilt for the last time. The style of the residential wing was changed from mediaeval to Renaissance. During the Thirty Years’ War, the castle deteriorated. Later on, in 1675, it has been destroyed by Swedish troops. The castle fell in disrepair.
In the 19th century, the area of the ruins was put in order and arranged in what was called the Romantic style. Although only eastern corners of the castle have survived, the romantic ruins of the Wedel family’s castle are still one of the attractions of the region. It is worth visiting them and taking a rest in this unique place reminding about the history of the town.