We can get to Rurka going from Chojna to Swobnica through Trakt Pyrzycki [Pyrzycki Route]. The distance between the villages is approx. 9 km. In order to get to the chapel we need to turn left behind the bus stop. The structure is situated approx. 1km behind the village to the north. Rurka is located 70 km from Szczecin. Visiting the village, it is also worth paying attention to the fact that the village with the same name is also located in the Golwniów County (30 km from Szczecin).
In this small village an 18th century chapel of the Templars is located. The Order came to Pomerania in 1235 and Duke Barmin I entrusted them with the land of Banie. The Templars settled in Rurka, building a monastery there and establishing a commandery in the village. The monastery included among others a residential manor, a mill, form buildings and a chapel – out of which only the chapel survived to the present day.
The chapel in Rurka is one of the oldest Romanesque buildings in West Pomerania. The structure was built in the first half of the 13th century and in 1248 the chapel was consecrated by the Bishop Wilhelm from Kamień.
The structure has one nave and a slightly elevated presbytery. It was built of granite blocks which were arranged in regular layers with a height of approx. 30 cm. The walls are more than one meter thick. The Romanesque style of the structure is also highlighted by semi-circular finishing’s of window openings and a circular window in the western summit of the chapel.
In the 14th century after the liquidation of the Knights Templar, the property was taken by the Order of St. John. The buildings were burnt in 1373 by the residents of Chojna and the Wedel troops. After the attack the Order moved to Swobnica. Further history of the property of the Knights Templar is not completely known. Surely in 1648, when the Order of St. John was liquidated, the land was taken by Brandenburg margraves. From the 17th to the 19th century the chapel functioned as a granary. In the 19th century the structure was modernized, the southern wall, the walls’ crown, the tops, windows and doors were reconstructed, and there was a chimney attached to the northern wall. The structure was adapted for a distillery which functioned until the end of the 2nd World War.
In the 90’s of the 20th century the original base of the building was discovered, the ruined roof of the chapel was dismantled and reconstructed. The works were completed in 1999. In 2004 renovation works were commenced. The interior of the building has not been renovated yet. Currently the chapel has a private owner.
Interestingly, the structure is not only popular among fans of history, but also treasure hunters. The village located far from the headquarters in France seems to be a perfect hiding place for the treasures of the Templars. The village remained in the hands of the monks long after the liquidation of the order – according to treasure hunters is the perfect location to hide a fortune. However, up until now no one has found any.